Access Holdings Plc has said that it lacks specific information on an helicopter crash in the United States reportedly involving its Chief Executive Officer, Herbert Wigwe.
It, however said it was collaborating with the US authorities who it said would provide updates on the matter.
The firm made its position known in a post tagged “Important announcement” on its official Instagram handle, @myaccessbank.
There were reports on Saturday that Wigwe was feared dead when an helicopter conveying him and five others crashed on Friday night near the California-Nevada border in the US.
There were also reports that his wife and son were onboard the ill-fated helicopter.
Although there has not been official confirmation from Wigwe’s family or firm, prominent Nigerians such as the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki; Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun; and the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, among others have issued public statements mourning him.
In reacting to the development, however, Access Bank did not mention Wigwe’s name in the message posted on its social media handle.
The statement read, “We have received numerous inquiries concerning an airplane crash in the USA.
“Presently, we lack specific information; however, we are actively collaborating with US authorities who will furnish updates.
“Your understanding and support are valued, and we commit to keeping you informed promptly as wereceive updates on the situation.”
In confirming the crash earlier, the US Federal Aviation Administration did not disclose the identities of the six people said to be onboard
The message on its website read, “A Eurocopter EC 130 helicopter crashed near Nipton, California, around 10 pm local time on Friday, February 9. Six people were on board.”
Earlier on Saturday, efforts made to get comments on the development from Access Holdings proved abortive.
The Head of Media Relations at Access Holdings, Kunle Aderinokun, and some members of the media team did not take their calls or respond to messages.